Monday, January 3, 2011

TABLETOP GAMING - "Making DESERT DUNES & River" Pt.4

The DESERT DUNES are DONE! I finished up the final paint job this weekend.

I was going to show the painting process as I worked on these, but there were too many glazes used to build up the layers of color. In short, I used a burnt red acrylic undercoating for the rocks, then used a very watered down chocolate brown glaze over the whole thing. I dry-brushed a honey brown over all of the sand and rocks, to pick up some highlights. Then I dry-brushed some light orange over that. Finally, I hit the sand with some very light tan, which accentuated the darker under-painting. I was surprised that a bit more of the original texture that was sculpted with the fork into the "icing mud" was visible through the glued-on sand (see last post).

Here are the four basic pieces...

...and some variations on how they can be arranged for game-play.

Next time, I'll finish up this project and show you the process I used to make the RIVER.

7 comments:

grey_death said...

They look great Warren! I've been following the progress but haven't had a chance to comment.

I really love the way they seem to come together even with obvious drop offs within the creases. Really well done with a lot of modularity and originality.

Do you mind if I share a link to these articles later this week?

Fitz-Badger said...

I agree with Grey_Death! I've been following along, too. These look great, the colors look right, too. Nice bit of terrain for your friend!

Warren said...

Thanks, you two...I appreciate the positive comments!

And, yes, Grey...it's fine to share a link to these. That's one of the reasons I post, so others can try out the techniques. Should be posting the finished RIVER sections by the weekend, if all goes well.

BaronVonJ said...

Mine! All mine! Mwahahahahahha! Thanks, Warren. Cracking job as usual.
-J

Tim said...

See I told you, you were great at making scenery! Fantastic stuff!

Max said...

Awesome job there!

Christopher said...

Can't wait to see the river sections!