Monday, January 20, 2014

SKETCHBOOK: "An Old Friend"


Today, the weather was a bit warmer than it's been the last couple of weeks.  So I decided to get out of the house and go sketch.  I thought I would go visit a location where I had done a painting over 10 YEARS ago.  I was hopeful, since there was still ice in the creek where I sat to draw, I would not run into any snakes like the last time (in July of '03).  

Below is the painting I had done of this same sycamore tree and all the roots.  You can see in the new sketch above, that the long horizontal root had been cut, as had the vertical part of the tree (in the upper right of the painting). Time changes things.

The sketch below is of a great looking lion statue that sits in the median of the street going into my neighborhood, standing guard near the library.  It was getting a bit chilly by the end of this drawing, so I decided to head back home. The sun is still out, as I post this...so nice to see a sunny day in the middle of winter!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The tree has aged much like me! Nice sketches, Warren. Glad you were able to get out. The sunshine was a good dose of Vitamin D for you. You should feel very refreshed....Mom